While no NFPA Standard is in use for protective hoods, the use of a Nomex or “PBI” protective hood is required during all live fire training.
- Helmet properly fitted with ear flaps down and chin strap fastened
- Hood covering exposed skin around ears, face, and neck
- Coat with collar up and throat tab fastened and all closures secure
- Pants with suspenders adjusted and all closures secure
- Gloves with wristlet (gauntlet gloves approved if a protective resilient wristlet secured through a thumb grommet is provided as part of the protective coat)
- Protective boots and proper overlap of coat/pants
The full protective ensemble is to be worn on all live fire drills, extrication drills, and forcible entry and ventilation drills. In addition to these times, the ensemble may be worn at the instructor’s discretion at any drill.
The use of Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) is not addressed in this document. This exclusion does not exempt the requirement for SCBA in hostile environments.
Helmet | Face | Shield | Hood
Minimum Acceptable: Approved polycarbonate with 4″ faceshield and ear flaps.
Preferred: Approved fiberglass composite with 6″ faceshield and 6″ ear flaps.
- Also acceptable are NFPA 1971-2007 Edition Bourke Easy Flip or NFPA approved helmet goggles.
- A Nomex hood must be worn.
Minimum Acceptable: OSHA approved (leather palms, Kevlar or leather backs.
Preferred: CAL-OSHA approved (built-in heat shield).
- Plastic coverings (red, orange, etc.) are NOT permitted.
- Welders or fireplace gloves are NOT equal to OSHA gloves.
- If cuff does not cover wrist with arms at sides, a glove extender must be worn.
Turnout Coat | Pants | Boots
Minimum Acceptable: Nomex coat with full Nomex liner and vapor barrier, bunker pants, and boots.
Preferred: Nomex coat and bunker pants with full Nomex liner and vapor barrier, FR jumpsuit.
- FR = Flame retardant fabric such as FR-III (ammonia cured cotton), Nomex or Modacrylic.
- No cotton/polyester fabric is permitted.
- If coat has outside moisture barrier it must be on a Nomex base. A nylon base is NOT permitted.
- Coat and pant liner may be either quilted or needle punched Nomex. Sleeves and legs must be Nomex-lined. Quilted nylon is NOT permitted.