|drills. In addition to these times, the ensemble may be worn at the instructor's discretion at any drill.|
The use of Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) is not addressed in this document. This exclusion does
not exempt the requirement for SCBA in hostile environments.
HELMET, FACE SHIELD, HOOD
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE: Approved polycarbonate with 4" faceshield and ear flaps.
PREFERRED: Approved fiberglass composite with 6" faceshield and 6" ear flaps.
- Also acceptable are NFPA 1971-2007 Edition Bourke Easy Flip or NFPA approved helmet goggles.
- A Nomex hood must be worn.
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE: OSHA approved (leather palms, Kevlar or leather backs.
PREFERRED: CAL-OSHA approved (built-in heat shield).
- Plastic coverings (red, orange, etc.) are NOT permitted.
- Welders or fireplace gloves are NOT equal to OSHA gloves.
- If cuff does not cover wrist with arms at sides, a glove extender must be worn.
TURNOUT COAT, PANTS, BOOTS
MINIMUM ACCEPTABLE: Nomex coat with full Nomex liner and vapor barrier, bunker pants, and boots.
PREFERRED: Nomex coat and bunker pants with full Nomex liner and vapor barrier, FR jumpsuit.
lined. Quilted nylon is NOT permitted.
- FR = Flame retardant fabric such as FR-III (ammonia cured cotton), Nomex or Modacrylic.
- No cotton/polyester fabric is permitted.
- If coat has outside moisture barrier it must be on a Nomex base. A nylon base is NOT permitted.
- Coat and pant liner may be either quilted or needle punched Nomex. Sleeves and legs must be Nomex